Sunday, December 12, 2010

My time in Swaziland and why I am interested in helping

I taught at Waterford Kamhlaba United World College from 2004 to 2007. Near the end of my time there, I adopted an orphan. This puts into context my interest in the country. My son's biological mother passed away in 2006 of pulmonary TB. His father passed away in 1997. He was then looked after by his half-sister who was unemployed and had no means to support him. There are tens of thousands of orphans like this in the country. Many resort to begging or are taken advantage of by extended family who use them as virtual slave labour.


My son (right) and another boy I was fostering at the time.


My balcony in about 2006.


The school playing fields viewed from a hill.


This lady used to work for me. She was wonderful.


My son's adoption order.


Visiting Swaziland in 2008. The boy on the right is now in a privately run orphanage.


My son in 2007.


With his half-brothers in 2008.


And now ...